Your child’s diet and nutrition have a significant impact on their oral health, growth and development. Dr. Ken Wynne offers counseling on diet and nutrition to help you provide your child with what they need to remain healthy and grow properly. Call Dimond Family Dental Center today at 907-344-5544 to learn more about diet and nutrition in Anchorage, Alaska, and schedule an appointment with our dentist.
Nutrition affects both oral and overall health. For example, if your child consumes too much sugar, it increases their risk of cavities. A lack of proper nutrition has also been linked with an increased risk of developing oral cancer, gum disease and defects in the tooth enamel. However, there are also many vitamins and nutrients that help keep your child’s mouth healthier and protect them from infection and disease. For example, vitamin A contributes to tooth formation while vitamin B helps keep the teeth, gums and tongue functioning correctly.
Your child has a unique metabolism, and it may be the case that some foods and nutrients benefit them more than others. When you visit our office to meet with our dentist, we will review your child’s diet and oral health to help determine the type of nutrients and diet that will be most beneficial for them.
Here are a few things you can do on your own to help keep your child healthy:
- Read food labels
- Help your child eat fresh foods and vegetables
- Limit how much sugar or carbohydrates they eat
- Encourage them to drink more water and fewer sugary drinks
- Provide foods that are high in calcium and phosphorus
- Provide healthy snacks and avoid stocking up on junk food
- Have them brush after every meal and floss daily (you may want to brush and floss for them until they are about 7)
If you have any questions about your child’s diet and nutrition or if you want to make an appointment with our caring dentist, please give us a call today.